Abbreviations. Terminology. FAQs. Building a new kind of organisation means that we need new words and new definitions. This book contains helpful clarification allowing you to understand the odd shorthand terms you'll hear in XR meetings and documents, and can direct you to who to ask if it's still not clear. Acronyms, Alphabetisations, Glossaries, FAQs and other sources of information are all here!
Glossary of Terms
We know that for a newcomer to Extinction Rebellion our resources and newsletters can appear full of jargon, acronyms and nonsense. First of all, we sincerly apologise for this. Jargon is useful shorthand within a group but can be unhelpful to new rebels and so we have created this page to help!
See also the Glossary for new rebels in the Rebel Starter Pack!.
Feel free to add new entries or add in terms you have come across which you do not understand. This is by no means a complete list.
Frequently Used Terms
- A&LS - Arrestee & Legal Support
- AG - Affinity Group
- AGSN - Affinity Group Support Network
- AP - Action Point
- APC - Action Planner's Circle
- AN - Action Network
- AS - Arrest Support
- BADON - Building a Distributed Organising Network
- CA - Citizens Assembly
- CC - Connecting Communities
- CCA - Climate Citizens Assembly OR Christian Climate Action
- EC - External Coordinator
- GS - Global Support
- IC - Internal Coordinator
- ISN - Internationalist Solidarity Network
- IST - International Support Team
- IR - International Rebel
- KYR - Know Your Rights
- LG - Local Group
- LO - Legal Observer
- M&M - Media & Messaging
- MM - Mattermost
- MoM - Movement of Movements
- NARD - National & Regional Development (Now known as XRUK)
- NVDA - Nonviolent Direct Action
- PA - People's Assembly
- PSS - Police Station Support
- RA - Rebellion Acedemy
- RISE CWUP - Pre-action/arrest training - stands for Reasons, Impact, Support, Embed, Concerns, Wellbeing, Uncertainty, Preparation
- RR - Rebel Ringers
- RSO - Rebellion Support Office
- SASN - Strategy Assembly Support Network
- SDT - Strategy Development Team
- SOS - Self-Organising System
- SST - Strategy Stewardship Team
- T&T - Talks and Trainings
- TESN - Trained Emotional Support Network
- UKSA - United Kingdom Strategy Assembly
- VLE - Volunteer Living Expenses
- WALA - Week of Aligned Local Actions
- WG - Working Group
- XRU - Extinction Rebellion Universities
- XRY - Extinction Rebellion Youth
- XRYS - Extinction Rebellion Youth Solidarity
- Affinity Group - A small group, created for an action, of rebels who are willing to take the same kinds of actions. That is, one Affinity Group may be up for dancing naked in parliment or another may be up for flyposting, but everyone withing one affinity group agrees on the level of actio they are iinterested in. Affinity groups ought to be self contained, having their own wellbeing rebels, support rebels, media rebels etc.
- Community Group - A group brough together by their identity, this could be their faith, culture, occupation or really anything! Out community groups include XR Grandparents, XR Muslims, XR Boatdwellers, XR Doctors etc
- DNA - The things that make us XR. These include our Principles & Values, our Self-Organising System, our Ways of Working etc. Essentially our DNA brings together all the things that we, as XR, fundamentally agree on.
- Global Support This is a worldwide network of rebels who help XR chapters grow and this is their website Extinction Rebellion Global
- Guardianship and Visioning (G&V) helps rebels and groups to follow the XR UK vision, principles & values when rebelling with Extinction Rebellion.
- The Hive - The Hive is the widest circle in the XRUK organism. It is made up of representatives from each Nation and Region of the UK as well as some from the UK Support structure. It aims to hold XR UK’s shared purpose within the global XR movement, supporting it to achieve its 3 demands in the UK.
- Integrated Budget Group (IBG) To distribute income raised for XRUK in line with the movement’s strategy. This means responding to requests for a movement budget and to fund rebellions. The challenge is there is never enough money to go round and IBG has to see how a request aligns with our strategy by supporting 1 or more of fundraising, mobilisation (growing the movement), providing critical funcionality (VLE to support NVDA, software licences, warehouse rent, rebellion equipment), engaging with cultural influencers (VIPs, celebrities, public figures) or NVDA. See also the Book Integrated Budget Group.
- Mandate - Each role and circle within XR has a mandate, and this tells those in that role or circle what they can do and lets others know what that role or circle is responsible for. Mandates are typically written as a statement of purpose (why the role or circle exists) and a list of accountabilities (what those rebels are responsible for).
- Self-Organising System - Is our system of organising. It includes how we make decisions, define roles and structure ourselves. The Self-Organising System is dynamic and evolving as we learn what works and what doesn't. See Self-Organising System on the UK web site (includes a link to our constitution) and the Building Teams book.
- 100 Days - A campaign for a big protest in April 2023. See the 100 Days book.
- Action Network - An organisation that provides facilities for sending out emails to lists of subscribers, and allows people to sign up to those lists. For more information on how XR uses this go to the book Action Network for XR. Software not hosted by XR, their website is actionnetwork.org.
- Citizens' Assembly - Citizens’ Assemblies are innovative processes that can empower people, communities and entire countries to make important decisions in a way that is fair and deeply democratic. Our 3rd Demand is that Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice. See https://extinctionrebellion.uk/be-the-change/citizens-assembly/. Note that those pages on the main XR UK web site supersede the old site xrcitizensassembly.uk.
- Community Assembly - A way by which communities can have discussions and make decisions using the tools of a People's Assembly.
- Demands - XR has three demands: see under Demands on the UK web site and What do we want to achieve?.
- Foundation Programme - A training course all about XR. See the page The Foundation Programme - prepare for and find your ideal role. Also the February 2022 Newsletter has a more complete description.
- Gardener - The Gardeners project has been set up as part of the Systems Realignment Project to support local groups. Search for Gardener on Mattermost for more information.
- Hub - XR UK's communications centres around the Hub, connecting all rebels with Local Groups, Regional Working Groups and UK Circles. Ask your local Tech Champ for details! See also the Online Tools for Communicating with Other Rebels book. During the August 2021 rebellion, "Hub" was also used to describe indoor spaces used for talks, trainings and workshops.
- Integration - The process of training new rebels and helping them to find a role. See Rebel Pathway and Integrator Handbook.
- Mass Mobilisation - A project to recruit more rebels. See the UK web site page Mass Mobilisation and the Rebel Toolkit book Mobilising the Community.
- Mattermost - An online chat platform, for making announcements and asking questions. All rebels are welcome to join. Ask your local group for details. The XR-specific documentation is in the Rebel Toolkit, see the Online Tools for Communicating with Other Rebels book.
- Nonviolent Direct Action - See the NVDA page
- Peoples' Assembly - A deliberative process in facilitated groups of 6-8 people where questions can be asked and all rebels can participate in forming a path forward.
- Principles and Values - XR has 10 Principles and Values. See under About Us on the UK web site and Our Principles and Values.
- Rebel Agreement - Five rules which rebels should adhere to, including the "no alcohol" and "we are all crew" lines. See Rebel Agreement PDF on the UK web site and How We Rebel.
- Regenerative Culture - The principles of care, mutual respect and listening we try to abide by. The way in which we look after ourselves, each other, the movement and the wider world. See the Wellbeing page on the UK web site, or search the Rebel Toolkit for the word Regenerative.
- Systems Realignment Project - a project to help us develop our structure and be more organised. It used to be called the Organisational Development Project, and before that it was known by the initials of the anonymous funding organisation.
- UK Cloud - XR UK's secure alternative to Google-Docs available to you via the Hub. Local Groups and Working Groups have space for their own document storage. Guides and training material also available here.
- UK Forum - An online message board platform, linked to the Hub. Longer term discussion organised into topics relevant to your Local Group or Working Group.
- Volunteer Agreement - The XR Volunteer Agreement is an agreement which must be signed by people who have access to Personal Data.
Terms Needing Explanations
If you know what any of these are, and you are on the Hub, please edit this page, or send us some suitable text via the UK Forum (see the Contact Us page).
- Action Design
- Conflict resolution team
- Strategic Finance Circle
- Strategy Stewardship Team
- UK Support (now called Systems and Culture)
About Extinction Rebellion
The main public-facing site for Extinction Rebellion in the United Kingdom is https://extinctionrebellion.uk/. This has information and resources for rebels as well as the general public: look under https://extinctionrebellion.uk/act-now/resources/.
The global site is at https://rebellion.global/.
We encourage everyone in the UK to sign up to the Communications Hub, which gives you access to Mattermost (announcements and questions), forum (discussions) and cloud storage (online documents) facilities to communicate with other rebels. For security reasons, you can't just sign yourself up -- you need to contact a Tech Champion in your Local Group or Community Group. To contact a Local Group or Community Group, look at the https://extinctionrebellion.uk/ web site.