How do we genuinely welcome everyone?
Principle 6: we welcome everyone and every part of everyone.
We need to build inclusivity and accessibilty into our teams from the outset. Have a look at the following resources to see how your team could become more welcoming and accessible.
XR's Disabled Rebels Network have produced the following resources:
- XR Principles of Inclusivity
- Diversity & Inclusivity at Actions
- Inclusivity-disability Resources Pack
There is also a wealth of practical advice on the We are Everyone page of the toolkit.
XR's Co-liberation group has produced a library of resources relating to oppression of all kinds.
Principle 7: we actively mitigate power.
Here are some ways we can try to balance out who holds the 'power' in our teams so that everyone's voice is heard:-
- weighting coordinating roles towards marginalised groups;
- including issues and voices normally ignored in our meetings and messaging;
- rotating who holds positions of responsibility;
- embedding anti-oppressive practice into our training materials;
- forging alliances with grassroots movements of marginalised people;
- improving our awareness of personal privileges; and
- always tackling harmful behaviour or language when it arises.
There are a few rare cases where you might not be able to include someone, i.e. if their needs are beyond what you can reasonably meet, or if they risk causing harm to other people (see ‘Supporting your new rebels’).