As an Action Rebel you want to be involved in arrestable or non-arrestable direct action, either through participation or taking on a support role. You could also think of Action Rebels as protestors.
Principle 4: we openly challenge ourselves and our toxic system. We ‘own’ our personal actions and stand up to explain why what we do is necessary.
Principle 9: we are a non-violent network. We use non-violent methods as the most effective way to bring about change.
Join an Action!
Affinity groups (AGs)
These are civil disobedience support groups - a powerful way of taking action together. They contain a minimum of 4 and ideally between 8 and12 people. AGs can join with an XR mass action or arrange one of their own. They are completely autonomous.
Guidance and Support
- Rebel Agreement - all rebels are asked to follow this guide to behaviour at Actions.
- Informed Dissent - activist legal rights website (England & Wales)
- XR's Legal Strategy (as it applies to Actions)
- Nonviolent Direct Action (NVDA): Essential for anyone who wants to take part in direct action, whether or not you are prepared to be arrested. Covers parts of an action, support roles, de-escalation, being arrested.
- Know your rights (T&T): Aims to encourage safe protest. Covers your legal rights, interacting with the police, prejudice in the criminal justice system, how to limit risk to yourselves and others.