What do we use to guide us?
We have ten Principals and Values
Anyone who follows these core principles and values can take action in our name. (This text includes the longer version of these, the printable page below the shorter version.)
1. We have a shared vision of change creating a world that is fit for the next 7 generations to live in.
Our hearts tell us a different world is possible. Our vision of change is sufficiently broad that it can contain a variety of opinions on how best to work towards that change:
2. We set our mission on what is necessary mobilising 3.5% of the population to achieve system change – such as “momentum-driven organising” to achieve this.
We recognise that our job may be less about “saving the world” and more about trying to develop our resilience as multiple collapses take places.
3. We need a regenerative culture creating a culture which is healthy, resilient and adaptable.
Regenerative culture includes a healthy focus on mutually supporting categories of; Self Care, Action Care, Interpersonal Care, Community Care, and People & Planet Care.
4. We openly challenge ourselves and this toxic system leaving our comfort zones to take action for change.
We have a duty to disobey this system which destroys life on earth and is deeply unjust and some of us will undertake open (“above ground”) actions that risk arrest and charges.
5. We value reflecting and learning following a cycle of action, reflection, learning, and planning for more action. Learning from other movements and contexts as well as our own experiences.
We don’t know how things will change so we are willing to experiment and learn from what we do.
6. We welcome everyone and every part of everyone working actively to create safer and more accessible spaces.
As a movement we are committed to campaigning for the right to life, and for the future life of our children and the planet.
7. We actively mitigate for power breaking down hierarchies of power for more equitable participation.
The ground on which this network stands is on the relationships between its participants. We will work every day to build trust, respect and reciprocity among all of us.
8. We avoid blaming and shaming we live in a toxic system, but no one individual is to blame.
Blaming and shaming will not serve us in the long run. Whilst a specific campaign may seek to highlight the damaging role played by an institution, including individuals serving that institution, our starting point is that we live in toxic system that has damaged everybody.
9. We are a nonviolent network using nonviolent strategy and tactics as the most effective way to bring about change.
Non-violence keeps our movement alive. We use non-violence to reveal the true perpetrators of systemic violence that people suffer from daily all over this world.
10. We are based on autonomy and decentralisation we collectively create the structures we need to challenge power.
Anyone who follows these core principles and values can take action in the name of Extinction Rebellion.
There is a full version of the Principles and Values on the XR UK web site. Click on each principle there to see the full description.