Why community organising?
Community organising is what enables communities to put their ideas into action; it will enable you to shape your local community, and perhaps even the greater society, so that it responds to the needs and desires of the people. It is a way of organising and acting effectively, so that you have a say in how money is spent, can make the most of any grants available, and can even hold politicians to account. Organising effectively as a community and creating lasting change is incredibly empowering – it enables people to find and use their agency, to draw on their courage, and to understand that their views and voices matter.
If we can come together to organise COVID-19 mutual aid projects, why not food, land and housing cooperatives? The climate crisis is real and our communities have to learn to adapt to a world in flux. That will only happen if we learn to work together. This is the moment to do exactly that.
- Imagination aphrodisiacs:
- Sundial: The Imagination Sundial
- Guide: XR Guide to the Impossible
Ideas for a new world:
- Stories: 21 stories of Transition
- Platform: The Alternative
Building the New Economy: Resource Library on starting a Cooperative
- Reclaiming Your Local Council:
- Take Direct Action:
- Reading list: compiled by the Laboratory of Insurrectionary Imagination
- Manual: Earth First! Direct Action Manual