Why Run Community Assemblies?
A community assembly is local people hearing, deliberating & deciding about local issues that affect community lives everyday.
The current political system is failing to take the actions we need.
It’s time to decide for ourselves, together!
Let's bring deliberative democracy into our communities to show them the power of deciding together!
By organising local Community Assemblies, we can…
- Grow our local networks by continuing to build local alliances around issues we are all concerned about;
- do outreach;
- Keep up the pressure on local politicians, local and unitary authorities;
- Spread the word about deliberative democracy to empower people by showing what outcomes could be achieved;
- Start a local campaign or project in collaboration with other groups sharing a common concern;
- open conversations about XR's 3rd demand for a Citizen's Assembly on Climate and Ecological Justice
- invite local politicians and candidates to build positive relationships and ask if they support the CE Bill and further climate and ecological protections;
- depending upon local relationships with political decision makers escalate pressure via NVDA. (Ceheck chapter headings for more about that in the this book!)
Ready to co-create a beautiful bonding experience in your community alongside allies?
Check out Community Assembly Resources
If you are planning a Community Assembly in your local area, we can support you with any questions, expert advice and possibly facilitation. Please fill in this Community Assembly Support Form. Tell us about your assembly plans and to get yours on XR's Events Map
We also offer a weekly drop in at 3pm Fridays to ask questions and share experience. Pop in OR Email Community Assembly support: email@example.com