Welcome to the Rebel Toolkit!
What is the Rebel Toolkit?
It is a library of Extinction Rebellion resources and creative work - a way to support one another with practical and tested means, tactics, artwork and more.
Who is it for?
Anyone in Extinction Rebellion (though please note it is PUBLIC so posts can be seen by anyone).
Who can make posts?
Anyone with an XR Hub login.
What can be posted?
- ‘How to’ guides
- Useful tools
- Answers to common questions
- Examples of things that have worked (or that haven’t!) and why
- Any other original work that could be useful to other rebels
- Personal opinion or debate (please use social media or forums instead)
- Anything without a team name and date attached (important for context)
- Resources available elsewhere on the internet (please post a short description and a link instead)
- Anything not ok to display to the whole world! (especially personal identifiers)
- Anything against our Principles and Values
Who maintains the Toolkit?
Groups need to maintain their own posts and update or delete out of date information. Posts can be edited by anyone or deleted by the original author (or a member of the Toolkit team if necessary). The Toolkit team can query and/or delete posts that don’t follow the guidelines or are out of date.
Please help yourself to any of the resources, they are all freely available! (**)
The organisation of this toolkit is like a library, with Shelves, Books, Chapters and Pages. Using the Search box above will search all of them. Search Tips.
If you are new to XR start here: Supporting XR
If you are new to the Toolkit start here: Help Using This Toolkit.
The Shelves: 1-10
1. Supporting XR®
The things you need to know about XR.
- Beginning active XR support.
- An XR glossary of terms.
- Comms Hub - Cloud inc. Library - Forums - Mattermost.
- Budgets, money and funding - XR Youth.
2. Group Building
Organise & maintain your group:
Local Groups, Affinity Groups & Working Groups.
- Guides for organisers on how to begin & maintain a group. Outreach. Risk Management. Self-Organising System. Action Network (email list management).
- Guides for individual rebels on how they can get involved & prepare for Rebellion (Rebel Starter Pack and Rebel Next Steps Pack). Rebel Pathway, Integration, Onboarding.
3. Community Building®
Building your group:
Engaging with your local community.
- growing & developing a resilient, robust & innovative team.
- Learn from other groups who've built & connected with local & other communities!
- Strategy Assembly reports, Do or Die Workshop.
4. Street Legal
Know your rights:
Prepare to engage with the legal system.
- Taking action, your group needs to know about staying physically & legally safe.
- Knowing what to expect if you are arrested or fined.
- Action Design training notes.
5. Talks & Trainings
Inspire & prepare your group to take action & support each other.
- How to request & design courses in your local area.
- Find out what trainings are given across the movement.
- Heading for Extinction talk.
Find the images, how to guides, & inspiration behind XR's destinctive look.
- Get creative on the streets, on-line, on clothing & so much more.
- Take a deep dive into XR's creative processes.
- Find posters, stencils, flyers, badges & so much more!
The more people that know about your actions & events... the better!
- Use the media, speak directly to supporters, make best use of resources.
- What other groups are doing to promote their events & message their actions!
8. Politics & Beyond!
We must talk to traditional political structures as well as beyond them.
- At Local & Regional level, getting politicians & councilors involved will be effective.
- How are groups engaging politically from lobbying MPs to bringing participatory democracy to the people!
This work is hard:
We must look out for each other & build the culture we wish for.
- Prepare yourself before an action, & develop the personal resilience necessary.
- Make plans to maintain your equilibrium throughout your action. Regenerative culture.
- Learn how rebels caring for each other within their groups builds a positive future!
10. Help Using This Toolkit®
Get started using this Toolkit.
- Share your own resources & experiences to help build this resource!
- Find out about this web site & other sources of information.
- Learn how to use this toolkit, how to add, edit, & update resources.
If you have any questions, feedback or suggestions, need a new shelf or book created, or a page deleted, or want to join our team, there are 3 ways to contact us.
If you have an Extinction Rebellion HUB login you can contact us through Mattermost OR the Forums.
- On Mattermost, the Rebel Toolkit Reception channel in the UK Team
- On UK Forums, the Rebel Toolkit Reception forum
- If you don't have a HUB login, contact us by eMail at: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are always looking for people who are passionate about sharing with and learning from each other to join us - if that's you, get in touch!
(**) Extinction Rebellion (XR) is a do-it-together movement. All our design and artwork can be used non-commercially for the purpose of planet saving. This does not mean creating merchandise for fundraising or sending XR a percentage of your sales. We do not endorse or create any merchandise and we will pursue and prosecute anyone who does. The Extinction Symbol was designed in 2011 by street artist ESP, who loans XR usage on the same basis: www.extinctionsymbol.info.