Planning your communications
This page is about all the things you should consider whenever you're planning your comms for an event, an action or even to advertise your group to the rest of the world.
✅ Do you have a Communication lead in your team?
This is usually the EC but can also be an additional role. Being a Comms Lead is part of XR’s SOS group role structure and means:
- Making the team contactable across and outside of the organism.
- Giving a clear outline of what the team does and who to contact.
- Checking the group’s email and Mattermost.
- Linking into the broadcast comms group and tuning into guidelines.
✅ Have you built a Communication plan for your event?
This is a timeline of communications for promotion and engagement.
2. Questions to consider when planning your comms
- Is the name of the event clear and engaging? Does the name already exist (and mean something else?! Google it)
- Are the date, time & location clear and have you consulted the wider XR UK Calendar to select the best time for your action?
- Have you consulted with Action Circle, M&M or other XR UK circles with mandates relevant to this action?
- Check out the Action Circle criteria to see if/how UK actions are offered support.
- Who is the event target audience?
- What’s the event aiming to achieve?
- What’s the call to action?
- Have you checked out the Style Guide for design and formatting guidance?
- Have you got a graphic design identity for the project? (Design contact Mattermostemail@example.com)
- Do you need a Facebook event and image to promote the event?
- What pathways are you offering to bring people into roles, further info/training or involvement?
- What do you plan to broadcast to the movement before, during and after your action?
- What do you need to communicate to the public? If it’s a secret action is it a ‘newsflash’ on the day?
3. Communication Request Form
Fill in the NEW UK Comms Request Form to get your event on the Movement Calendar and to share it with M&M to request support for UK-wide actions.
Requests for all UK M&M channels (broadcast, social media, email, website) can now be shared through this funnel form, rather than going to separate M&M teams.
4. Live Action Content Telegram
Note that every effort will be made but support cannot always be guaranteed by M&M for all comms requests, due to team capacity and strategic priorities.