Inviting People to your Group
You should use the Hub to invite new people to your group. This is because an invite to the Hub sets people up correctly on all the XR services. You can also invite people to individual services, but then you would have to do all the work that the Hub could have done for you (e.g. inviting people to the right Teams, Channels, Cloud folders and Forums), so it is much easier to invite people via the Hub.
How to invite people to your group
Who is eligible to be added to the Hub?
We want to be as welcoming and enabling as possible of all new rebels who come to us enthusiastic to get stuck in. That said, the Hub is not a public space and a degree of caution should be exercised when inviting new people. Ideally, they should be known to and getting involved with your group.
If unknown people (e.g. from your area, but unable to get to meetings) request Hub invitations, please try to have someone meet them - a welcome to your group – before proceeding. This could potentially be via video chat if in-person isn’t possible. If a person seems unlikely to get involved locally but wishes to volunteer from home, then the Foundation Programme will likely be their best route in.
To get to the Hub, type - hub.extinctionrebellion.uk - into your browser address bar
To send a Hub invite
- select your group from the list of Groups
- use the 'Invite Rebels to Group' from the Admin section on the group page – then you will see this screen:
- You can add as many email addresses, logins or handles of people to invite as you like (one per line), and you can add a personal message for the users you invite.
NB If you put @ in front of a handle, the Hub will only search for that handle in Mattermost – otherwise, it will search handles and logins on all the services (some people have different handles in different places).
- NB If you put @ in front of a handle, the Hub will only search for that handle in Mattermost – otherwise, it will search handles and logins on all the services (some people have different handles in different places).
- Invite emails will contain your email address, so the invitee can contact you for help or advice. If you have used a personal email to register on the Hub, that is the email that will be in the invite. If you are not happy with this, make sure there is a generic group email address in your group's Contact Info - then you will be offered the opportunity to use that email address in your invites by ticking the box.
- Invites expire in 14 days, so if someone doesn’t accept their invite within that time, you will have to invite them again.
- Invites normally go out by email – but if you search by handle, the Hub may find someone on Mattermost who has not registered with the Hub, and does not know their email – in which case it will send them a Mattermost Direct Message instead - the Hub's handle is xrukadmin.
How to invite people via a private Mattermost channel
If you click the Mattermost Invite green link at the top of the Invite People page above, you see this screen:
- This lets you select a private channel in Mattermost that belongs to your group, and post an invite link in there. Anyone who is in the private channel can follow the link to join the Hub. They will then have access to all your group’s channels, forums and cloud space.
- This is useful if you have invited people to your channels on Mattermost, but haven’t invited them through the Hub.
How to view invited people - List Invites
- This shows all the invites sent out for this Hub Group.
- Every invite still on file for the group is shown (all invites over 60 days old are removed).
- If the invite has been Accepted or Rejected, this is shown - there is nothing further you can do with these.
- If the person is on the Hub with that email, their Hub login is shown.
Status - Where the person is at with the invite you sent |
- Sent - You've sent it and they haven't Accepted
- Accepted - They've accepted and are now a Member of the group
- Rejected They've rejected their invite
- Expires - two weeks after the invite was sent.
- Login - the invitee's Hub login name (which can be different from their MM handle).
- Member They have a Hub login AND have accepted the invite so are now a member of the organisation to which you sent the invite
- -blank- - They don't have a Hub login and they haven't accepted the invite
- On Hub The person is on the Hub, but has not accepted your invite
- Mattermost Problem - The person is on the Hub, but had a problem connecting to Mattermost. Please contact them to see if you can help (see Mattermost Problems below), or pass the problem to DDAT
- Forums Problem - As above, but for Forums - Nextcloud Problem - As above but for Nextcloud (UK Cloud)
All invites with Sent status (i.e. that haven’t been accepted or rejected yet) have the following options:
- Edit icon - opens the invite, so you can edit it, or delete it. Note that, if you have changed anything on the screen, those changes will be lost if you click this (there is a prompt to make sure that’s what you want).
- Copy icon - copies the URL for the invite to your clipboard. This is useful if you want to send it to someone by some other means, as they haven’t received the email.
- Resend checkbox - tick this to mark the invite for resending by email. It will not actually be resent until you save the form.
- Renew checkbox - tick this to mark the invite for renewing (setting the Expiry date 14 days from now). It will not actually be renewed until you save the form.
- In addition, there are tickboxes for all at the bottom so you can easily resend or renew all the invites.
- If you then click 'Save', any invites where you have ticked Renew will be renewed, and you will be taken to the normal Send Invites screen, with the emails of all the people where you ticked Resend already filled in.
How to fix problems with people signing up
The 'User Sign Up Errors' button in the Admin section of your Groups page lists any errors users had when the Hub tried to add them to all the relevant spaces in Mattermost, UK Forums and UK Cloud. If you see any problems here that you can’t fix by speaking to the person, please contact us on Digital Discussions Applications Team Reception.
How to fix Mattermost (MM) Problems
The URL for XR's Mattermost is https://organise.earth
A Join Status of Mattermost Problem against an invite means they are on the Hub, but have not got on Mattermost for some reason. The solution begins with finding out what the problem is (usually by getting them to log into the Hub, and seeing what screens come up).
The problem is usually one of the following:
|Their login name already exists on MM, however doesn't belong to them, but they haven't changed it to one that isn't already in use
|Click on the 'Try a different name to create a different login name on the Hub.' button, and try a different login name in the next screen.*
|Their login name already exists on MM, does belong to them, but they haven't authorised the Hub to access Mattermost because they have forgotten their MM password
|First get MM working by trying to log in with their login name, and clicking the button to reset the password that they have forgotten to something they can remember (e.g. their Hub password). Then they need to log in to the Hub (with their original Hub password), and authorise the Hub to access their account.
|Their login name already exists on MM, does belong to them, but they haven't authorised the Hub to access MM because they haven't responded to (or haven't got) the email from XR Global 'Verify My Email'
|First ask them to check their inbox (check Spam/Junk if not in their inbox) for the email from XR Global. If they can't find it, go to the MM sign-in page at https://organise.earth and ask them to sign in with the same details they used to create their Hub account and click the button to resend the email. Find the email from XR Global, and follow the link in the email - 'Verify My Email' - to activate their MM account. Then they need to log in to the Hub and authorise the Hub to access their account.
|Their login name already exists on MM, does belong to them, but has a different email to the one they are using for the Hub
|Change their email address on Mattermost or on the Hub, so they match.
|Their email already exists on MM, but they haven't authorised the Hub to access Mattermost because they have forgotten their MM password
|First get MM working by trying to log in with their login name, and clicking the button to reset the password that they have forgotten to something they can remember (e.g. their Hub password). Then they need to log in to the Hub (with their original Hib password), and authorise the Hub to access their account.
|Their email already exists on MM, but they haven't authorised the Hub to access MM because they haven't responded to (or haven't got) the email from XR Global Verify My Email
|First get MM working by trying to log in using their email, and clicking the button to resend the verification email. Next, find the email from XR Global in their inbox, and follow the link - Verify My Email - to activate their MM account. Then they need to log in to the Hub, and authorise the Hub to access their account.**
*This screen shows if they have chosen a login name that matches an existing name on Mattermost. It lets them choose a different login name (if the Mattermost account isn't theirs), or link their Hub account to their Mattermost account:
**This screen shows if there is an existing Mattermost account for their email address. It lets them link their Hub account to their Mattermost account:
To just remove someone from your group, click the 'Members' dropdown in your group screen, click on their entry, and then click 'Remove User From Hub Group' at the top.
If someone is stepping back altogether from all their roles, you may find the Step Back From Roles screen useful.